Although it is not clear when the first bicycle reached Canada, the Toronto Globe of 6 March 1869 reported on the "Grand's Riding Academy," where pupils were instructed in the art of velocipede riding. The first "high wheel" bicycle (also known as the penny-farthing") was imported in 1876 by A.T.
In the early 1970s, the project of a Québec Sports Hall of Fame took shape through the initiative of Carl Schwende, a Swiss émigré who had settled in Québec in 1948. Thus, on June 26, 1973, the Panthéon des sports amateurs du Québec took out its charter.
While the games always carried a sacred aspect, held on the open plains of Elis, surrounded by magnificent groves of gleaming, silver-grey olive trees, they also displayed that most Greek of contributions to our civilization: individualism.