Claresholm, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1905, population 3758 (2011c), 3700 (2006c). The Town of Claresholm is located approximately 65 km northwest of Lethbridge. The name of the town was chosen by John Niblick, a superintendent of the CPR, in honour of his wife. The CPR reached what would become the town site of Claresholm in 1891. Initially only a stopping place for trains, in 1902 O.J. Amundsen had a town site surveyed and then brought in 25 settlers from Devil's Lake, ND. The community grew quickly and was incorporated first as a village in 1903 and then as a town in 1905. An interesting note about Claresholm's incorporation as a town is that this was the last official act of the Territorial Government before Alberta and Saskatchewan became provinces.

During World War II Claresholm was chosen as the site for Number 15 Flying Training School and it served as one of Alberta's most important BRITISH COMMONWEALTH AIR TRAINING PLAN bases. Later the Claresholm Airfield was also used to train NATO pilots. Today, Claresholm acts as a service, administrative and retirement centre for the surrounding agricultural community.